New SafetyFirst Video
February 14, 2019
This week the Apprenticeship Employment Network (AEN) released a new video aimed at apprentices and trainees, highlighting the OH&S performance results collected over the past 5 years by AEN members including Westvic Staffing Solutions.
So what have the survey results shown?
- The greatest at risk are 1st year apprentices aged between 15-24 years of age.
- The less experienced you are the more potential for a workplace accident.
- Young male apprentices within the building and construction, engineering, automotive and electrical trades are at greatest at risk.
The main accident types over the past 5 years include:
- Lacerations (cuts) to the hands
- Sprain and Strains to the back (manual lifting)
- Foreign objects in the eyes
These accidents may not seem like a big deal, but they can have serious consequences.
There are a number of simple things everyone could do to improve workplace safety. Take a minute to think about the job you are about to do, and to make sure you are doing it safely.
- Remember to always ask if you are not sure about something.
- Use the correct piece of equipment for the job.
- If you are lifting something always do it safely!
- Wear your personal protective equipment at all times – especially your safety glasses and gloves!
Always think “SafetyFirst” so you don’t become a statistic.