Apprentice Horticulturist (Parks & Gardens)
Warrnambool, Full Time
Westvic Staffing Solutions in conjunction with St John of God Hospital, Warrnambool are seeking applications to fill the role of Apprentice Horticulturist. This is a wonderful opportunity to gain a Horticultural Trade qualification whilst working with a leading health provider.
General Duties include:
- Undertake the care and maintenance of open space areas, garden beds and trees
- Undertake general maintenance of buildings, plant and equipment activities within the hospital
- Carry out nursery work including propagation of plants, preparation of potting mix, spraying herbicide and insecticide, sweeping and weeding pots and standing areas
- Establishment and maintenance of tree plantations, shrubs, ground covers, garden beds, floral display, etc
- Landscape, construct and establish plantations, grass areas and garden beds
- Safe and competent operation of small plant and equipment including but not limited to utilities, trucks, trailers, tractors, ride on mowers, chainsaws, brush cutters and spray units.
Key Selection Criteria
- Desire to successfully complete a 3-year Horticultural trade qualification
- Ability to learn a diverse range of skills related to horticultural activities
- Ability to learn manual handling skills necessary to use hand tools such as shovels, rakes, brooms, mattocks, crow bars etc.
- Capacity to learn and be able to operate a wide range of small machinery and equipment including the use of chainsaws, brush cutters, mowers, rotary hoes and knapsacks
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to perform manual work
- Ability to discuss and resolve basic problems
- A current drivers licences preferred but not essential
- Applicants will be required to obtain Working with Children’s Check and Police Check.
All queries should be directed to Anthony Smith; firstname.lastname@example.org or 5561 9000.
Applications close 5pm Friday 18th January 2019. Position due to commence early February 2019.